Just as marriage requirements differ from state to state, Puerto Rico has certain requirements particular to the island.

You'll need the following:

  • a Photo ID (unexpired drivers license) or Passport
  • Birth Certificate and Social Security card of both parties
  • a V.D.R.L. blood test taken within 10 days of the wedding
  • divorce decree or death certificate (if either party has been previously married/widowed)

Marriage License papers may be acquired in advance from the Department of Health, Demographic Registry, P.O. Box 11854, Fernandez Juncos Station, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00910, or by visiting the office upon arrival (tel. 787-767-9120)

With the above documents in hand, you visit a physician to have the documents certified.  Next stop is at the Marriage License Bureau to have the documents authenticated.  Marriage ceremonies are offered (free) at the Judicial Center, or you can have your hotel make private arrangements for a fee.

To celebrate a wedding at a hotel, call the hotel directly and ask for the person in charge of weddings.  That person will help with the catering.  Most of the hotels have a wedding package - which will include information about a wedding coordinator, florist, bakery, music, etc.  The hotel's sales department helps you with rooms if you have a group that needs to stay there while attending the wedding.  They will ask you to sign a contract so that they can hold up to 10 rooms for your party.

Quisqueya Street
Hato Rey, Puerto Rico  00917

(787) 767-9120 ext. 2108 or 2109

Blood Test:

If living in the U.S.A., the blood test (V.D.R.L.) can be performed in the laboratory of the U.S.A. as long as it is in a laboratory qualified by the Health Department and State.  It is very important to observe that once you receive the results (certified copies) from the laboratory, the test is valid for 14 calendar days.  Within this time you must see a doctor practicing in Puerto Rico in which he will certify the blank form RD-12 the the Registry will give you upon request.

Once the doctor certifies the RD-12 document, it is necessary to return the certified RD-12 Document, the results of the blood test and the documents listed above to the Demographic Registry at:

Calle Quisqueya #171
Hato Rey, Puerto Rico  00917

(787) 767-9120 ext. 2303

The cost for the license is $20.00 in an internal revenue stamp.

For information on civil marriage celebration, please contact:

Postal Address

Centro Judicial San Juan
Sala de Investigaciones
Call Box C.J.-Hato Rey Station
Hato Rey, PR  00930

Physical Location

Centro Judicial San Juan
Ave. Munoz Rivera ~ Pda. 36
Hato Rey, Puerto Rico


(787) 763-0028
(787) 764-8010

Tourism Office

(787) 724-2800
(787) 725-2335